Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Me? Selfish?


Made it all the way to day 6 in the
Love Dare for Parents.
If I didn't know I needed it so bad, I'd be tempted to quit.
This is where I'd quit.
I don't want to be told I'm selfish!
    "Moodiness and impatience, laziness and irresponsibility, are only selfishness in disguise...."
and
    "Selfishness is like a disease that suffocates our capacity to love."

I don't want to hear this stuff!
But....   I need to.
That has me ALL over it.

1 Corinthians 13:5

New International Version (NIV)
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

I don't think of myself as selfish.
I give up a LOT for my kids.
I stay hoe for naptimes and to get them in bed.
I don't go out with friends and leave them all the time.
I spend most of my days cooking and cleaning and working around the things that they want to do.
BUT, am I moody?
BUT, am I impatient?
BUT, do I sometimes procrastinate or get lazy when it comes to doing things they want?
UH....  you got me there.

That is not how God made me to be.
I need to "lose myself in the joy of loving, giving, serving."
That's my plan.
If you see me NOT doing that.
Call me out.
Punch me in the gut.

Slap me upside my head.
Whatever works.

Here's how our day looked...

The kids have chores to do when they get up.
They have to get ready, straighten their room, do their dishes and eat breakfast (in that order) before 9 am.
I know, I'm a slave driver.
Lexi handwashes the glasses that were used and any small pots and pans.
Dylan empties and refills the dishwasher.

I was having a friend come today, so I wasn't sure I'd have much time to prepare lunch.
I decided to experiment.
I threw rice, broth, beans, tomatoes, frozen spinach, and green chilies in the rice cooker along with some mexican spices.
Turned it on and came back at lunch time.
We ate a little cheddar cheese on it. 
It was so good!
Lexi had thirds!

We continued our lesson on Still Life Painting, 
but actually painted today.
Lexi loves it,
but Dylan - not so much.
If it doesn't start or end with bass guitar, he's not interested.
 
Got to meet Jimmy out at the greenhouse today to look at plants.
I have some reading up to do.
Saw lots that I wanted, but surprisingly, they aren't on sale yet!
We'll head back when they are.
We also went to Hardware Hank because they had began their annual produce sale early!
I didn't buy much yet.
Some peppers and onions.
I'll go back and hope for some on clearance on monday.
I'm cheap like that. 

No comments: