Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pumpkins, pumpkins and more pumpkins....

I love fall.
Especially when we have beautiful fall weather and NOT snow.
This year, we have had a blizzard already.
Last night it snowed again.  Though nothing too substantial.
Blessed that it will be gone by the weekend.

Today, I decided to roast up 2 of the four baking pumpkins
I bought this year.
Nothing like fresh roasted pumpkin to use in your recipes.
(Although I did buy a case or organic puree from Azure!)
I'll share more of what recipes I'm making with it soon....

Here's how you roast them -
in case your a novice....

Cut and scoop out.
DO NOT throw out those yummy seeds!
If they are small, you can just cut each half in half again.
If they are larger, you may want to third or quarter them.

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it.
This is just for ease of cleanup, and not necessity.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour and a half.
This will depend on the size and thickness.
You'll know they are done when the skin is wrinkled and
your fork or knife goes right in without resistance.

Take out and let cool.
Scoop out of the skin into a food processor.
Blend until smooth - adding a bit of water if you need.

My two pumpkins gave me about 4 cups of puree.  YUM!

Now, the seeds....
They are SO good for you and easy to roast.
I don't rinse mine.
some do.
I don't dry mine.
some do.
I just toss with olive oil and salt.
Spread on a sheet
Roast at 350 for about 45 minutes or so.


No comments: