Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

I finally conquered a coconut!

Well actually TWO!

We received them in our bountiful baskets last week.

I use coconut a lot, but any time I've ever had one, I can NOT figure out how to easy get at the meat.
I've pounded and pounded and pried at that shell and only ever hurt myself!
Seriously - I've been injured in the act of opening a coconut.
I dread them.

Today, I cam a cross a video.

I thought - "I can do that!"

I used my trusty thermometer to poke through the soft eye.
I drained the juice.  Each one had about a cup of coconut water!

I then, put them in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or so.
They cracked. Just like in the video!

When they came out, I hit them with the hammer and they cracked right open.
WOOHOO!
What didn't pop right out of the shell, I used the flat head screwdriver separated it.
Easy Peasy!

I peeled the brown skin off with a vegetable peeler and put it all in my Ninja.

I added about 4 cups of near boiling water.  Not quite boiling though - you don't want to kill all the good coconutty enzymes.

I gave it a whirl and it made 4 cups of delicious coconut milk.
I strained it in cheese cloth and put it in a jar.

The pulp left, I dried out in the oven at about 200 degrees.

SO EASY!!!!!

I also cooked up about 6 cups of acorn squash and 10 cups of pumpkin!
Looks like some baking in my future!

We finished the lazy day with dinner at HuHot.
Have you ever been?
It's delicious!!!

No comments: